With the start of a new school year only weeks away, United Way of Sumner County (UWSC) is working with partners throughout the county to help make sure students have the basic materials they need on the first day of class.
UWSC’s 7th Annual Stuff the Bus school supply drive runs from July 3-21. Supplies can be dropped off at Chamber of Commerce offices in Gallatin, Hendersonville, and Portland, the Westmoreland Public Library, the Sumner County Schools Central Office lobby, or the United Way office. Complete details on this year’s drive, including drop-off locations, a list of needed items, volunteer opportunities, sponsor-a-student information, and more, can be found at www.unitedwaysumner.org.
More than 650 Sumner County students received Stuff the Bus backpacks prepared by United Way volunteers in 2015. According to UWSC President/CEO Dana M. Given, the number of students who need assistance in Sumner County is not decreasing.
“About 40 percent of Sumner County students are eligible for the Free-and-Reduced Lunch Program,” Given said. “That tells us that many families are not in a position to purchase all the things their children need to be successful at school. By providing students with basic supplies, we can help send them to school better prepared to succeed. Stuff the Bus is a great opportunity for everyone to get involved and make a difference in our community, and we are very excited about working with our partners, individuals, businesses, and churches across Sumner County to positively impact as many lives as we can.”
This year’s Stuff the Bus drive runs through Friday, July 21. Stuff the Bus has many ways for you and your business to get involved and make a difference in the lives of local students in addition to buying and donating supplies, including:
- Sponsoring one or more students with a $60 donation per child, and UWSC will purchase needed supplies. You can visit the Stuff the Bus web page at www.unitedwaysumner.org to donate online or to download a printable version of the student sponsorship form and mail it in with your contribution today.
- Hosting a school supply collection drive at your business, church, or civic club event. Flyers and posters are available for download on our website, and United Way will collect the donated supplies at the end of the drive.
- Volunteering at our July 25 Sort-A-Thon, where donated supplies will be opened and sorted; and
- Volunteering at our July 27 Pack-A-Thon, where donated supplies will be stuffed into backpacks.
If you need assistance with school supplies for your children, Stuff the Bus backpacks will be distributed to students in need by local United Way of Sumner County partner help centers throughout the county. For more information, please contact the appropriate help center based on where you live.
- Gallatin, Castalian Springs – Society of St. Vincent de Paul, (615) 218-0377
- Hendersonville – Hendersonville Samaritan Association, (615) 824-7105
- Portland, Cottontown – Portland C.A.R.E.S., (615) 325-7805
- Westmoreland, Bethpage – Westmoreland Food Bank, (615) 644-4357
For complete details, visit the Stuff the Bus page on the UWSC website, www.unitedwaysumner.org. For more information about how you or your group can get involved with Stuff the Bus, contact United Way of Sumner County Communications and Marketing Manager Steve Doremus at Steve@unitedwaysumner.org, or call him at (615) 461-8371.