United Way of Sumner County's 8th Annual Stuff the Bus school supply drive was one for the record books. The 2018 edition of Stuff the Bus provided 1,000 backpacks filled with supplies to students throughout the community before the start of the new school year. The school supplies given out in this year's backpacks included: 800 sets of colored markers, 1,000 sets of colored pencils, 1,600 glue sticks, 1,600 bottles of Elmer's Glue, 3,000 packages of notebook paper, 3,600 spiral notebooks, 5,000 vinyl pocket folders, 9,000 ink pens, and 36,000 pencils.
As with any event of this size, Stuff the Bus would not have been possible without the support, donations, and efforts of a large group of people. Thank you to all of the following for their contributions:
- Publix Super Markets, which provided the bulk of our school supplies through the donations of customers to the Tools for School program;
- The Gallatin, Hendersonville, and Portland Chambers of Commerce for their help collecting supplies and spreading the word about Stuff the Bus;
- Comcast Universal NBC/Xfinity for collecting supplies; and
- Sumner County Schools, which provides storage and workspace for Stuff the Bus through the Family Resource Center managed by Mike Shelton.
SCHOOL SUPPLY COLLECTIONS/DONATIONS
- Fischer Family Dentistry
- GKN Hoeganaes
- Halo Realty
- Hendersonville First United Methodist Church
- ITW CIP
- Re/Max Choice Properties
- Rogers Group
- Senior Citizens of Hendersonville
- Sumner Bank & Trust
We were blessed to have 74 volunteers who packed 1,000 backpacks during our two-day Pack-A-Thon. In addition to community voluteers who donated their time, the following businesses and groups were represented by volunteers at the Pack-A-Thon: Publix Super Markets in Gallatin, Goodlettsville, and Hendersonville, the Gallatin High School Student Council, ITW CIP, Ashley's Place, First Tennessee Bank, One Stop Realty, New Creation Church, Parks Realty, Rogers Group, Caldwell Banker Lakeside Realty, Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee, Station Camp Middle School, Merrol Hyde Magnet School, Hendersonville First United Methodist Church, and the United Way of Sumner County Board of Directors.
The following are photos from this year's Stuff the Bus activities.
PACK-A-THON, DAY 1 - July 24, 2018
PACK-A-THON, DAY 2 - July 25, 2018