Now in its ninth year, United Way of Sumner County's annual Stuff the Bus school supply drive provides basic materials to students in need so they can begin the school year ready to learn and be successful. Set for July 1-19, 2019, Stuff the Bus collects donated school supplies, which are then sorted, packed in backpacks, and provided to students for the start of the school year. More than 1,000 Sumner County students received Stuff the Bus backpacks prepared by United Way volunteers in 2018.
There are many ways you and your business can get involved with Stuff the Bus, from donating and collecting supplies to volunteering to sort and pack donated materials. You can download and print the complete 2019 Stuff the Bus information flyer by clicking HERE!
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED!
SPONSOR A STUDENT
If you don't have the opportunity to buy and donate school supplies, you can sponsor one or more students with a $60 per child donation, or donate any amount you like. United Way of Sumner County will purchase a backpack and appropriate supplies for you. If you would like to make a donation to sponsor a student, there are two ways you can do it.
1. Visit our Sponsor A Student Website today and make your donation online!
2. Download and print the Sponsor A Student Form and mail it to the United Way of Sumner County office with your check.
DONATE SCHOOL SUPPLIES
United Way and our partners will collect basic school supplies that students need for classroom participation and success. Backpacks will be stuffed with grade-level appropriate materials. Thanks to the donations made by Publix Super Markets and its customers late last fall, we already have large quantities of some basic supplies on hand for this year's Stuff the Bus. However, there are several items we do not have. The following is a list of school supplies we need to make our 2018 backpacks as complete as possible:
Needed School Supplies
• 1.5-inch 3-ring binders (600 needed)
• Plastic Pencil Boxes (300 needed)
• Soft Pencil Pouches (800 needed)
• College Ruled Spiral Notebooks (500 needed)
• Elmer's Glue Sticks (1,100 two-packs needed)
• Pink Beveled Block Erasers (1,300 needed)
• Wide Ruled Composition Books (2,200 needed)
• College Ruled Composition Books (500 needed)
Partner Drop-Off Sites
School supplies may be dropped off at the following locations July 1-19:
White House Chamber
United Way of Sumner County
COLLECT/DONATE SCHOOL SUPPLIES
Area churches, civic groups, and businesses can get involved with Stuff the Bus by hosting their own internal school supply drives and collecting the needed items listed above. Encourage your members, employees and customers to donate supplies at your location. United Way of Sumner County will then pick them up prior to our donated supply Pack-A-Thon on July 23-24. Feel free to use the flyer and poster linked below to promote Stuff the Bus with your group. Let us know what you're doing, and we'll get a flyer and poster personalized for you and list your information below as being a Stuff the Bus participant.
2019 STUFF THE BUS PARTICIPANTS
Stuff the Bus has many ways for your and your business or civic group to get involved and make a difference in the lives of local students, including:
- Hosting a school supply collection drive at your business location or civic club event. United Way will provide you with signs and collect the donated supplies at the end of the drive.
- Volunteering to help us fill backpacks with donated supplies at our Tuesday, July 23 Pack-A-Thon.
- Volunteering to help us fill backpacks with donated supplies at our Wednesday, July 24 Pack-A-Thon.
To sign up as a volunteer for one of our activity days or for more information about ways you, your business, church, or civic organization can get involved with Stuff the Bus by collecting supplies or volunteering, contact United Way of Sumner County Projects Coordinator Toni Dew at Toni@unitedwaysumner.org or by calling her at (615) 461-8371.
IF YOU NEED SCHOOL SUPPLY ASSISTANCE
If you need assistance with school supplies for your children, Stuff the Bus backpacks will be distributed to students in need by local United Way of Sumner County partner help centers throughout the county. For more information, please contact the appropriate help center based on where you live.
- Gallatin, Castalian Springs – Society of St. Vincent de Paul, (615) 218-0377
- Hendersonville – Hendersonville Samaritan Association, (615) 824-7105
- Portland, Cottontown – Portland C.A.R.E.S., (615) 325-7805
- Westmoreland, Bethpage – Westmoreland Food Bank, (615) 644-4357
CHANGE DOESN'T HAPPEN ALONE.
Join the Fight!