Now in its seventh year, United Way of Sumner County's annual Stuff the Bus school supply drive provides basic materials to students in need so they can begin the school year ready to learn and be successful. Set for July 3-21, 2017, Stuff the Bus collects donated school supplies, which are then sorted, packed in backpacks, and provided to students for the start of the school year. More than 650 Sumner County students received Stuff the Bus backpacks prepared by United Way volunteers in 2016.
There are many ways you and your business can get involved with Stuff the Bus, from donating and collecting supplies to volunteering to sort and pack donated materials. You can download and print the complete 2017 Stuff the Bus information flyer by clicking HERE!
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED!
SPONSOR A STUDENT
If you don't have the opportunity to buy and donate school supplies, you can sponsor one or more students with a $60 per child donation, or donate any amount you like. United Way of Sumner County will purchase a backpack and appropriate supplies for you. If you would like to make a donation to sponsor a student, there are two ways you can do it.
1. Visit our Sponsor A Student Website today and make your donation online!
2. Download and print the Sponsor A Student Form and mail it to the United Way of Sumner County office with your check.
DONATE SCHOOL SUPPLIES
United Way and our partners will collect basic school supplies that students need for classroom participation and success. Backpacks will be stuffed with grade-level appropriate materials. Thanks to the donations made by Publix Super Markets and its customers late last fall, we already have large quantities of some basic supplies on hand for this year's Stuff the Bus. However, there are several items we do not have. The following is a list of school supplies we need to make our 2017 backpacks as complete as possible:
Needed School Supplies
- 1.5-inch 3-ring binders
- Plastic Pencil Boxes
- Soft Pencil Pouches
- Protractor & Compass sets
- Crayola marker sets (wide & fine)
- Handheld Pencil Sharpeners
- Pink erasers (block & cap types)
- Composition Books (wide rule)
- Glue Sticks
- Colored Pencil sets
- Plain poly pocket folders for 3-ring binders
School Supply Drop-Off Sites
School supplies may be dropped off at the following locations July 3-21:
Sumner County Schools
United Way of Sumner County
COLLECT SCHOOL SUPPLIES
Your church, civic group, or business can contribute to Stuff the Bus by hosting your own internal school supply drive and collecting donated items at your location. United Way of Sumner County will then pick them up prior to our donated supply Sort-A-Thon on July 25. Feel free to use the flyer and poster linked below to promote Stuff the Bus with your group.
Stuff the Bus has many ways for your and your business or civic group to get involved and make a difference in the lives of local students, including:
- Hosting a school supply collection drive at your business location or civic club event. United Way will provide you with signs and collect the donated supplies at the end of the drive.
- Volunteering to help us sort donated supplies at our July 25 Pack-A-Thon. (Watch this page or follow us on Facebook for the latest information on location and time when announced.)
- Volunteering to help us fill backpacks with donated supplies at our July 27 Pack-A-Thon. (Watch this page or follow us on Facebook for the latest information on location and time when announced.)
To sign up as a volunteer for one of our activity days or for more information about ways you, your business, church, or civic organization can get involved with Stuff the Bus by collecting supplies or volunteering, contact United Way of Sumner County Communications & Marketing Manager Steve Doremus at Steve@unitedwaysumner.org or by calling him at (615) 461-8371.
IF YOU NEED SCHOOL SUPPLY ASSISTANCE
If you need assistance with school supplies for your children, Stuff the Bus backpacks will be distributed to students in need by local United Way of Sumner County partner help centers throughout the county. For more information, please contact the appropriate help center based on where you live.
- Gallatin, Castalian Springs – Society of St. Vincent de Paul, (615) 218-0377
- Hendersonville – Hendersonville Samaritan Association, (615) 824-7105
- Portland, Cottontown – Portland C.A.R.E.S., (615) 325-7805
- Westmoreland, Bethpage – Westmoreland Food Bank, (615) 644-4357
THANK YOU TO OUR STUFF THE BUS PARTNERS!