Get Help

In addition to partnering with more than 35 local non-profit agencies who specialize in specific needs, United Way of Sumner County provides several free programs and services to help families find the resources they need for education, financial stability, health, and to rebuild lives through crisis recovery. Connecting people in need with local resources is a critical part of our mission. Click the sections below to find out how each program/service can help your family or someone you know.

UWSC Programs and Services

What is 2-1-1?

2-1-1 is United Way's free and confidential referral service available 24/7 that helps people find the local resources they need, when they need them. One call to 2-1-1 connects you to someone who can help you navigate the maze of human services to get you the help you need. 2-1-1 offers information about food, housing, employment, childcare, transportation, health services, tax assistance, eldercare, legal assistance, domestic violence help, after school programs, and other crisis hotlines. 2-1-1's trained information and referral specialists can help you find resources for all of these needs and more. Simply dial 2-1-1 and stay on the line to speak with an information and referral specialist about your needs.


How do I connect?

  • Dial 2-1-1 on your phone to speak with a Community Resource Specialist. (Some cellular service providers prevent you from dialing 2-1-1 to make a call.  If you are having trouble reaching 2-1-1, you can also connect by dialing 615-279-1410 or 1-800-318-9335.)
  • Text your Zip Code to 898-211 to start a Text Chat.
  • Visit  to search by category of service/ need, county, or zip code. 
  • You can also choose visit or "click here to chat" on to open a live chat dialogue.

211 trifold brochure

Add your organization to 2-1-1

If your organization focuses on providing a social service, you can join the 2-1-1 resource database. Qualifying organizations are 501(c)3 non-profits, government agencies, faith-based organizations, or other organizations that contribute social services. For complete qualifications and to add your organization to 2-1-1's database, click the button below.


Join 211

What is the Benefit Kitchen?

The Benefit Kitchen is a free screener you can use to learn more about federal, state, and local public benefits for which you may be eligible in Tennessee. It helps residents learn their eligibility for benefits including TennCare, food stamps, utility assistance, tax credits, and more. The screening is free and we will never ask you for your name, address, or SSN.


How do I connect?

  1. Text the word BENEFITS to 211-211 to start a Text Chat.
  2. Wait a few seconds for the prompt and then answer the questions as they are asked.  It takes 5-10 minutes to answer the screening questions.
  3. After you answer all the questions, you'll get a text message telling you any benefits for which you may qualify AND giving you the link to apply to receive those benefits.

Benefit Kitchen brochure as graphic


What is My Free Taxes?

MyFreeTaxes helps people file their taxes for free while getting the assistance they need. United Way provides MyFreeTaxes in partnership with the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to help filers prepare their tax returns on their own or have their return prepared for them for free.

Since 2009:
● More than 1.3 million people have used MyFreeTaxes.
● MyFreeTaxes has helped individuals and households save $260 million in filing fees.

MyFreeTaxes helps people file their taxes for free while getting the assistance they need.

  • MyFreeTaxes is FREE for all returns.
  • MyFreeTaxes is available in English and Spanish.
  • Users can file federal and state returns for free.
  • Tax situations covered for free in MyFreeTaxes include:
    • W-2 income
    • Schedule C Self Employment
    • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV student
    • Education expenses, credits or student loan interest
    • Unemployment income
    • Claiming the standard deduction
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • Child tax credits
    • Child and dependent care expenses
  • MyFreeTaxes also provides a free return to self-employed filers including gig workers, who can report their income and expenses on a Schedule C form.
  • You can easily file your taxes using from your mobile phone, tablet or computer. The platform guides you through the process to guarantee you get your maximum refund.
  • Most filers complete their taxes in under one hour and save an average of $200 in fees by using MyFreeTaxes instead of a paid tax preparer.
  • Filers who prefer more support can connect to virtual VITA programs to have their return prepared for them by an IRS-certified specialist.
  • The MyFreeTaxes filing software uses best-in-class standards to safeguard taxpayer information and guarantee tax returns are accurate and you receive your maximum refund.
  • Don’t stress over the latest changes to tax laws! MyFreeTaxes software is always up to date.
  • MyFreeTaxes screens for credit and deduction eligibility, like the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit and can help filers claim missed stimulus payments.

How do I connect?

  • Regular operations begin in late January following the tax year.  (i.e. Regular operations of MyFreeTaxes will begin on January 29, 2024 for the 2023 tax year.)
  • Go to for more information and to get started.

MyFreeTaxes ad

What is SingleCare?

United Way of Sumner County partners with SingleCare (formerly FamilyWize) to provide community members with access to affordable prescription medications, ensuring greater health and financial stability. The SingleCare prescription savings card finds the lowest prices and provides discounts on pharmaceuticals for friends, family, and co-workers— even if they’re not a SingleCare member.


The SingleCare prescription savings card:

  • Always free to use by everyone with no signup fees, hidden fees, or red tape—just show it to the pharmacist.
  • No registration or eligibility requirements. Use it right away!
  • Save up to 80% on 10,000+ prescription medications.
  • Card provides typically half the cost of the retail price.
  • Saves an average of $37 per script and $243 per member per year for people who regularly fill prescriptions.
  • Accepted at 94% of the pharmacies nationwide including major pharmacy chains such as CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Kroger, Albertsons, Safeway, Rite Aid, and Meijer.
  • Works whether you’re insured or underinsured.  In fact, 80% of those who use the card are insured!
  • Unlimited uses.

How do I get a SingleCare card?

  • Stop by the United Way of Sumner County office at 1531 Hunt Club Blvd., Suite 110, Gallatin, TN to pick up your free card.  (Please call before you come to ensure we have staff in the office that day:  615-461-8371.)
  • Download and print a card on
  • Text "family" to 700700 to receive a card on your phone (Message and data rates may apply. SingleCare Terms and Conditions)
  • Download the free SingleCare mobile app from the App Store or Google Play Store.    

If you are looking for information about a specific United Way of Sumner County Funded Partner, click the button below for a list of contact information and program descriptions.

Funded Partners Button


Public Benefits that Provide Help

What is SNAP?

Formerly referred to as “food stamps,” the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutritional assistance initiative administered at the state level. In Tennessee, SNAP is managed by the Tennessee Department of Human Services (TDHS).

How do I sign-up?

Click here for more information including a link to apply online for benefits.

*Hint:  Use the Benefit Kitchen to help you check your eligibility for this benefit.

What is TANF?

Families First, the state’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, is a workforce development and employment program. The Families First program emphasizes work, training, and personal responsibility. It is temporary and has a primary focus on gaining self-sufficiency through employment. The Families First program helps participants reach this goal by providing temporary cash assistance, transportation, child care assistance, educational supports, job training, employment activities, and other support services.

How do I sign-up?

Click here for more information including a link to apply online for benefits.

*Hint:  Use the Benefit Kitchen to help you check your eligibility for this benefit.

What is TennCare?

TennCare is the state of Tennessee’s managed Medicaid agency serving more than 1.7 million Tennesseans including low-income individuals such as pregnant women, children, caretaker relatives of young children and older adults and adults with disabilities. 


How do I sign-up?
Click here for more information including an online application for benefits.

*Hint:  Use the Benefit Kitchen to help you check your eligibility for this benefit.

What is the Tennessee Housing Development Agency?

The Tennessee Housing Development Agency offers several programs including:

  • low fixed-rate mortgages
  • homebuyer education classes
  • emergency repair for homeowners
  • foreclosure prevention
  • home modifications and ramps
  • low income home energy assistance
  • weatherization assistance program to reduce utility costs
  • Section 8 housing assistance


How do I sign-up?
Click here for more information on each of these programs.


Other Help Resources

Nashville Electric Service offers Project Help, a donation-based financial assistance program offered to NES customers in crisis.  

NES also offers Home Uplift to help customers lower energy costs with up to $10,000 in energy-saving upgrades such as insulation, duct sealing, low-flow shower heads, and more.

Click here for more on the Project Help or Home Uplift programs.

Sumner County Schools offers the Family Resource Center to provide clothing, shoes, school supplies, and toiletries to students in need and their families.  Click here for more information.

If you have a Sumner County School student and you are temporarily displaced from your home/apartment, staying with family or friends, or are facing homelessness please contact Kecia Ray at Sumner County Schools who manages funds under the federal McKinney-Vento program for displaced students.  She will ensure that your child has transportation to, and is able to stay at, their current school, can provide hotel stays for displaced families, and help with other immediate needs.  Call her at 615-451-5444 or click here for more information.