One of United Way of Sumner County's unique roles in our community is connecting people and organizations together through volunteer opportunities. There are many ways to discover volunteer opportunities in your community.
UWSC Volunteer Opportunities
Submit your information on the SIGN UP! tab above to add your name to our available volunteer roster, to volunteer for a specific project or event listed below, or to ask for additional details about our volunteer opportunities.
Community Impact Projects:
- Mom & Baby Care Drive - May 1-25, 2021: Create positive change in our community by helping local moms and their babies by donating needed care items. Visit the Mom & Baby Care Drive page to see what we care collecting and ways you can help!
- Kids Coat Drive - October/November: Host an in-house collection drive at your business, volunteer to pick up collected coats, assist with sorting collected coats, etc.
- Stuff the Bus school supply drive - June/July: Host an in-house collection drive at your business, volunteer to pick up collected supplies, assist with sorting supplies and stuffing backpacks.
- Day of Action - scheduled as requested: Organize a work crew from your business, church, club, or neighborhood to accomplish tasks at a United Way partner agency. Visit the Day of Action page to learn more and request additional information.
- Fall Classic Charity Golf Scramble - Monday, Oct. 25, 2021: Be an event volunteer, assist with set-up and clean-up, and more.
- Annual Gala & Auction - March 4, 2022: Be an event volunteer, help collect donated auction items, assist with event set-up and clean-up, and more.
- Event Committees: If you are ready to roll up your sleeves to make one of our signature events a success, serving on one of our event organizing committees could be just the volunteer opportunity you're seeking. Help us plan from the ground up to ensure our guests have a great time, all while creating positive change in Sumner County.
- Allocations Panels - Feb. - May each year: UWSC relies on an all-volunteer allocations process to determine how we invest resources in the community. Our Allocations Volunteers go through a required training session, visit partner agencies, listen to a full day of agency presentations, and meet to deliberate allocations decisions.
Recent Volunteer Images
UWSC Partner Volunteer Opportunities
United Way Partner Agencies have many volunteer opportunities throughout the year. We will list specific opportunities on this page as we receive them. Contact the agencies listed below about their opportunities. For more information about volunteer opportunities in general, submit your information to us on the SIGN UP! tab above.
- Mid-Cumberland Human Resource Agency Meals on Wheels is seeking Volunteering for Meals-on-Wheels in Gallatin or Hendersonville. Meals are usually picked up for delivery around 10:30 on weekdays. It will take 45 minutes or so to deliver a route. Contact: Sharon McDaniel firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration form: https://www.mc-mealsonwheels.com/volunteer
Community Drives and Donations:
- United Way of Sumner County's Community Help Centers often accept donations of a variety of household items, clothing, and food. Contact the Help Center nearest to you from the list below to find out if they are currently accepting donations, what they are accepting, and what they currently need.
- Grace Place Ministry appreciates your help in supplying our families with household consumables; as you know, the need never ends. Our most urgent necessities are listed HERE. We currently accept donations at the office on Mondays between 10 and 12. We’ve also created an Amazon Wish List if you prefer to shop online and have your donations shipped directly to us. Please call (615) 881-3976 with questions or to schedule a drop-off. Grace Place is so grateful!
- Literacy Council of Middle Tenn. has helped thousands of local residents – from children to adults – improve their reading and math skills, get better grades, earn their high school diplomas, and ultimately have more career opportunities. Because of the generosity of our volunteers and community donors, we’re able to provide our tutoring services free of charge. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer tutor, visit https://www.literacymidtn.org/volunteer-faq to learn more and begin a rewarding experience of helping others.
- Write letters/cards of encouragement to our seniors, essential workers, etc.
- Record a video of playing an instrument to send to a senior citizen
- Lunch & Learn Zooms on topics of interest
- Make masks for those who are high-risk